Tuesday, September 10, 2013

MEMORIES LIKE THE CORNERS OF MY MIND!


MEMORIES...LIKE THE CORNERS OF MY MIND
Well friends its fall again...my favorite time of year...blowing leaves, crisp clear days, chilly nights and the ROCKY MOUNTAIN HORSE INTERNATIONAL !

Celebration of the kindest, prettiest, most willing horse in the World.
Remembering the past shows, the numbers of horses, special performances of horses and mostly the people, joined together by a true love of these fantastic horses.

My special horsey memories are of course of Storm Warning ridden and shown by Derick Tipton-the thrills and the heartbreaks--1994 SAM TUTTLE AWARD WINNER, 1998 and 1999 International Reserve Grand Champion Under Saddle--both years he was the Stallion Grand Champion Under Saddle; back then there was only ONE International Grand Champion.  And his babies winning their conformation classes. 

My other horsey memory is watching Fair Warning as a two-year-old showing in her class.  Sitting beside me was Bert Morgan...as I sit there fretting and a nervous wreck Bert assured me she was going to win...And she did!!!!  Over the rail at a high speed (I was a tad younger then) I went to grab that trophy!

And then there was Cookie Cutter (the incredible horse, hurt so bad as a yearling we thought she would never be ridden much less showing) but she was and SHE DID! The year Julie showed Cookie in the Western Classborrowed a saddle from Sidney Lansdale (most competitive of all but with a heart of gold) and some much needed advice to help Julie calm her nerves.  This was the first time for this team and Julie was afraid Cookie might decide to chase the wind. But Cookie had the “Heart of Lion” as Julie says and went in and WON THAT CLASS! As I ran out there to stand with Cookie and Julie in the Winners Circle I never knew it would be Cookie’s last win as she lost her life in a thunderstorm a month later


My resent special horsey memory is Julie calling to tell me Silky (Storm Warning x Fair Silk) and Mikie Bowen (my Favorite Son- in- Law) had just won the 2010 SAM TUTTLE AWARD!!!!!

I remember the tension before the final moments and me nearly in tears a lot of the time.  I remember the " big guy" Ronald Risner saying something nice to me and I broke down and cried ( he is a gentle giant).

I remember the pretty young girls that Sue Wells taught...Allison, Whitney, Courtney, Myranda, and how I wished I could ride like them and I wondered how Sue took such great care of them (and kept them under control).  Shew!!

I remember sitting with Sidney and Sandy one year and Sidney and me both stomping off mad when neither of our horses won!
I remember the decorations of stalls and everyone trying to beat everybody else.

I remember our first years, knowing nothing, and H.T. , Wilda and Larry teaching us gait, rear ends, front ends, ARGH so much to learn and SO MANY people.  Yes at that time there was standing room only and then probably three deep!!

I remember trying to help Vera watch Kaylee and Vera so calm, me scared to death Kaylee was going to get run over.

I remember Gary Gwisdalla and Rambin Rex showing off and playing at night in the stadium.  Gary yellin “How the Hell R Ya” and Rex taking care of him...because u see Gary was bareback and STANDING up.  It was a dance of its own...with two partners...a man and his horse.  It was one of my favorite things, they made it so funny but looking back I know it was a performance based on love and mutual respect.

I remember the parties---food, music, celebration, and dancing...you know I love dancing ...even on tables!!!
I remember homemade wine...Yes I Do...bringing friends to try it out...up at the barn on the hill...Hey Gary Y'all gonna be there this year??

Mostly I remember the love I felt and still feel for this incredible horse...There are good ones and then there are the magical, unbelievable devoted, caring ones that steal your breath....whether thru riding, loving, beauty, grace, parenting or any or all off the above...THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN HORSE...The true Mountain Horse that was bred and developed in the Hills of KY
As far as breeds goes the RMH is a young breed but thanks to the registry it is starting to be a “set” type with true Mountain Horse characteristics and conformation showing up consistently.

GOD BLESS everyone at this show.  Looking to have a good time, tough competition, A Huge Cheering Crowd and A HECK OF A GREAT TIME

COME ON BY FAIRWINDS (Barn 7)  We all need to visit AND HAVE SOME FUN!!

BTW Just keep on singing POKER FACE


1 comment: